Sunday, February 17, 2013
Major and Minor Offenses
From the 1925 Manual of the Ku Klux Klan:
OFFENSES AND PENALTIES
I. Two Classes of Offenses -- "Offenses against this order shall be divided into two classes: major and minor offenses."
II. Major Offenses
Major offenses shall consist of:
1. "Treason against the United States of America."
2. "Violating the oath of allegiance to this order or any supplementary oath of obligation thereof."
3. "Disrespect of virtuous womanhood."
4. "Violation of the Constitution or laws of this order."
By conspiracy, relinquishment or forfeiture of citizenship, support of any foreign power against the United States of America, violating the bylaws of a Klan of this Order, habitual drunkenness, habitual profanity or vulgarity.
5. Unworthy racial or Klan conduct: "Being responsible for the polluting of Caucasian blood through miscegenation, or the commission of any act unworthy of a Klansman." White men must not mix their blood with that of colored or other inferior races.
6. The repeated commission of a minor offense: "The repeated commission of a minor offense shall in itself constitute a major offense."
2. Profanity or vulgarity.
3. Actions inimical to interests of the Order.
4. Refusal or failure to obey.
5. Refusal or failure to respond.
6. Refusal or failure to surrender credentials.